Saturday, February 16, 2008

Jane Jiang's Song of America

And I am not only black or white—
Am many-colored also,
yellow and dun and red and brown,
I would be green too if I could find a way;

I, too, am America.
My song is the lifeblood of this country;
My sweat still waters the bounty of its fields;
My mind is a gift to the testament of opportunity;
I foresee setback but I am optimistic:
I will find a way.

My heritage carries with me.
I am ever the child of immigrants.
I struggle to merge with those around me.
I am ever the one with two selves, two halves, two souls.
I am struggling to retain my past.
My culture beats warring drums inside me.
Mine is not a simple answer.


I found this poem by chance. The rest is here.

Over the past few weeks, workers have been traipsing in and out of the house as my kitchen and bathrooms have been turned inside out and made new again. Men from Romania, El Salvador, Honduras, Turkey, Moldova and Ethiopia laying stone, trimming wood, fixing cabinets, cutting granite, painting walls. This poem could be their song too.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

i thought you were striking from writing as well.

Anonymous said...

Sujatha,
THough not a regular reader, I visit blogpourri quite often. Off late I was wondering what is preventing u from writing and thought I should email u and find out. But today I found this post and am happy that u were temporarily off. Hoping to cya back soon after u settle ur house hold.
Deepa

Choxbox said...

Good you're back :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
bird's eye view said...

Hi Sujatha,

Wonder if you read this book called Digging to America by Anne Tyler? It's on this theme and a fabulous read.

Anonymous said...

Hi sujatha

Glad you're blogging again! Have missed your posts and the loads of sense and sensibility you bring to the mommy-blogworld!

Sujatha Bagal said...

Hi guys, thanks for the lovely comments. I'm glad you're here as well even when I strike! :)

BEV, no, I haven't. I'll check it out. Thanks for pointing it out to me.