Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The oath, still reverberating a day after

Justice Roberts administers the oath of office to Obama again following the fumble at the inauguration. It apparently took place last night*.

Then VP Biden takes a dig at Justice Roberts at a ceremony for White House staff this morning.

Obama is clearly annoyed at having the issue raked up again. He reaches out to Biden as if to stop him and shakes his head at his staff, signalling them not to laugh. This on the heels of Mrs. Biden's faux pas on Oprah.

Are Presidents and Vice-Presidents doomed to dysfunctional relationships?

* Earlier this evening.

3 comments:

Altoid said...

I've somewhat gotten over the fumbling of oath, by now. And I dont expect a glorious friendship between the Prez and the Veep, most of them- after 8 yrs of so-called togetherness- invariably seem to settle into a resigned tolerance.

But I want to follow this first 100 days and first one year closely. I still remember I expected a lot more from the first 100 days of Democrats taking over the Congress and I felt somewhat let down. I totally understand, its an uphill task and its hard to produce spectacular results too soon, but still......one can hope, right?

Anonymous said...

Honestly, I feel the whole issue was blown outa proportion. Their jobs're herculean as it is, without the scrutiny:)

Sujatha Bagal said...

Altoid, according to the press, Obama is hoping people don't pay attention to his first 100 days. I bet he's also thinking, "One can hope, right?" :)

N'ville Mom, I feel the same way, but this was apparently done out of an "overabundance of caution" as the WH counsel put it. :)