Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Come Again?

I accidentally deleted this post (along with the comments). I'm putting it back up again.
____________________________________________________________

One day, I overheard N and V arguing vociferously. From the back and forth, I could make out that V was not disciplining N.

N: "I love mama the most!"

V: "I love her too."

N: "I love mama more than you."

V: "Well, I knew her before you were born."

N did not know how to respond to this.

As I walked down the steps, I could see that Nithin was close to tears.

Me: "What's going on?"

N: "Mama, I love you more than dada."

Me to N: "I love you too, sweetie pie."

Me to V: "Why are you arguing with him about this? He doesn't understand."

V: "Well, he started it!"

Whever someone asked me how many children I had, I would always say "one" of course. Now, it was time to rethink.

__________________________________________________

P.S. This was when N was 3 and a half years old. He was extremely possessive and would hate to see any demonstration of affection between V and myself. We dutifully consulted Dr. Spock. Apparently, this was perfectly normal. The possessiveness would fade away as N got older, we were told. N is 5 years and 4 months old now and although he is still very possessive, he doesn't get upselt anymore. He just squirms into the hugs.

1 comment: