This is how Karnataka was rated on various parameters among the big states:
- Law and Order: 4th, after Kerala, Tamil Nadu (TN) and Rajasthan;
- Primary Health: 4th, after Kerala, Himachal Pradesh (HP) and TN;
- Primary Education: 9th, after HP, Kerala, Uttaranchal, TN, Maharashtra, Assam, Punjab and J&K;
- Infrastructure: 10th, after Punjab, HP, Maharashtra, Haryana, Uttaranchal, Kerala, Gujarat, J&K and TN;
- Consumer Market: 10th, after Punjab, HP, Haryana, Kerala, Maharashtra, Gujarat, TN, J&K and Uttaranchal;
- Budget and Prosperity: 11th, after all of the states in Consumer Market above plus Andhra Pradesh (AP);
- Investment Scenario: 6th, after Gujarat, Chattisgarh, Punjab, HP and Haryana; and
- Agriculture: 6th, after Punjab, Haryana, TN, AP and Gujarat.
There is a separate ranking for the smaller states.
If you currently don't live in India but are contemplating a move to India, and the choice of where you want to live is yours, this is something to think about. Of course, if you have family in a particular state and you want to be close to them, these numbers and rankings are meaningless.