Monday, March 23, 2009

My World: Cherry Blossoms and the Tidal Basin

The Tidal Basin

It's cherry blossom time in Washington, D.C. The forecast is for the blossoms to peak a tad earlier this year. Here are some pics from about this time last year I took for an article I wrote on the annual Cherry Blossom Festival. The focus of all attention - local and tourist alike - is the Tidal Basin, with its ring of cherry blossom trees. The buds are not in full bloom yet in these photographs, but you get a glimpse of what is yet to come.

The Washington Monument

The Jefferson Memorial

A small paragraph about the history of the trees from the article (the entire article is here):

A gift from Mayor Yukio Ozaki of Tokyo to the people of the United States — following a few failed attempts by local residents to transplant and grow cherry trees in the Washington region — that first gesture paved the way for more exchanges between two countries intent on building and solidifying a relationship. World War II promptly put an end to the niceties, but the Festival returned to its rightful place on Washington’s social calendar in 1947. In a poignant twist to the story, Japanese horticulturists arrived in Washington in the early 1980s and returned home with precious cargo — cuttings from the trees that comprised their original gift — to replace their own trees that were lost to a flood.

For more posts from around the world, check out My World.

27 comments:

Jinksy said...

Cuttings, eh? - I think we all use Blogland 'cuttings' - of thoughts, rather than trees, as subjects do seem to spread and blossom on the net, hopefully just as those new cherry trees will come to fruition back in their homeland.

Kavi said...

And in this part of the world Cherry Blossom didnt go beyond a brand of shoe polish !

:(

Neat article and wonderful insights. As usual !

kjpweb said...

It's good to see that Washington has more to offer than bickering! :)
Cheers, Klaus

Sylvia K said...

Gorgeous photos, Sujatha! And I really enjoyed your article! I agree with Klaus that it is nice to know that there is something in DC besides feuding politicians! The monuments are so beautiful! I have been there and seen them, but not when the cherry trees were blooming. Thanks so much for the pics and the good read!

SandyCarlson said...

This is an amazing city. I think the Jeff Memorial is my favorite. Always cool in there!

Anonymous said...

I would love to see the blossoming of the cherries in DC one of these days. Love your photos.

Carver said...

Great post and photographs from DC at my favorite time to visit there. I haven't been there in a while so nice to get a visit through your photographs.

Maria said...

Funny enough, we have many Japanese gifts (trees) in Vienna too.

EG CameraGirl said...

The cherry blossoms must be beautiful to see in person! I love fruit trees in blossom.

DeniseinVA said...

Washington DC has so much to offer. I am looking forward to driving into the city to see the cherry blossoms soon. An incredible sight. Great post and I enjoyed your photos very much.

Jane Hards Photography said...

Very historic and iconic image and lovely spring blossom

Arija said...

Spring is blossom time, and what better than pink cherry blossom. So nice to have them concentrated and massed like that in Washington.

Debbie said...

I've never been in the spring. I really need to do that.

david mcmahon said...

What a wonderful story behind the blossoms. Our cherry blossom season in mid-September - we're in early autumn now!

Femin Susan said...

This is an amazing city. Thanks for sharing....

Oman said...

I would love to walk in there and I will definitely take my time there.

Swarna said...

That's a nice bit of info. And lovely to look at the cherry flowers.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos - make me long for Spring and Summer! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Those are gorgeous photographs, Sujatha! The Washington Monument looks like the tall, pointy structure we have here in Wafi City Mall :)

Thanks for visiting my blog!

Latane Barton said...

Such beautiful scenery. You captured it well.

Sands said...

Lovely pictures with a slight infusion of history. So miss the variety of greenery that spring brings in that part of the country :)

Bong Mom said...

When is it going to peak this year ? Is easter a good time to visit ?

Sujatha Bagal said...

Sandeepa, the cherry blossom festival website has all the information you will need:

http://nationalcherryblossomfestival.org/cms/index.php?id=404

Have fun planning!

Lakshmi said...

lovely story and pics..I would like to walk down a bridge like this now..:)

Gaelyn said...

The cherry blosoms at the Capital is so iconic. Yet I'd forgotten the story behind them. Thank you for sharing. Interesting about the cuttings going back to Japan.
Great captures and post.

Nino's Mum said...

:) beautiful pix. I'd read the Japanese connection story as a kid and it's one of those legends that have become imprinted in my mind. I came close to visiting Washington last year: and then work just took a precedence. I hope to see the city in full bloom sometime.

Choxbox said...

lovely story!