Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Prelude: Composer - Bach; Pianist - C

C just learned to play Bach's Prelude. It's a lovely song, but just looking at the three pages of notes gives me a massive headache. So I stay away from the piano and listen to it from a distance.

The reason for the photographs this time around in the video below, instead of C's fingers flying over the keys, is that this is a two-minute piece and he was not going to let me hover over him for that long. Plus he thinks that the small digital camera's primitive sound doesn't do justice to the song.

So C recorded the song and I tried to download it. The piano (Roland HP-207) records fine, I was able to download the song into a storage device and the song played fine on the computer, but it's not in a format that can be used in a video. I know way more than I want to about this stuff but the lowdown is this - the piano stores the music in MIDI format and it cannot be converted to a WAV or WMA format. So I sent the file to C's piano teacher who played it on his computer, hooked it up to an instrument, had that instrument play it and then saved the result in WAV format.

I used the file that he sent to make a movie using some pictures in my folder. Unfortunately neither the sound nor the pictures retained their original clarity. I wish they had come through better. I'm going to continue to try different ways to download C's performances in a usable format. In the meantime, here's C playing Bach's Prelude.



Updating to add links to related posts:

C playing Beach Buggy Boogie, Mazurka and The Entertainer.

16 comments:

Choxbox said...

awesome suj. please tell C i enjoyed listening to it.

and the pix are lovely too. is there any continent you havent been to?!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I wish I could play a musical instrument, ANY musical instrument. Go C!!

Sylvia K said...

Oh, Sujatha, that is so beautiful! Really awesome, please tell C how beautifully he plays and how much it was enjoyed. Reminded me of how I felt when I saw my youngest daughter dance with a ballet company for the first time. Awesome and joyous! Thank you so much for sharing this!
How delighted I am each day that we have met in this blogging world!!

Sands said...

Awesome Suj! Loved listening to it. Please tell C that he has an amazing gift. Thanks for sharing this.

Nino's Mum said...

:) such beautiful music, even more awesome when I realise the little hands that made it!
Googled the Roland HP-207 ( I don't know anything about pianos) and it looks beautiful, and cosy.

Sujatha Bagal said...

@ Chox, thanks. And plenty of places, believe me. :)

@ Siri, thanks. :)

@ Sylvia, so glad you could enjoy your daughter's performances and it sounds beautiful - a ballet recital with a company! I'm usually very nervous at live performances, even plays that have no connection to anyone I know!

@ Sands, NM, thank you!

Cheffie-Mom said...

Beautiful. C is very talented. My son Kyle loves to play the piano as well.

Anonymous said...

That is really beautiful. I enjoyed the combination of photos with C's playing

Kavi said...

C gets straight A !

I mean, one of my lifetime desires has been to learn music !And here is someone who is leading the way !

Convey my appreciation ! And by the way, good mixing too !!

:)

Anonymous said...

wow!how lovely.

Tharini said...

This is awesome music. I had goose pimples listening to it. Totally beautiful!

And what a roundabout of a ride you have been on to share it with us.

Do you have a laptop? If so, you could also use a mike attached to the laptop to record it live.

Now, I know I am going to keep up with Akhil's piano classes. If this is what it can sound like!

Eleonora Baldwin said...

Thank you so much for this! The images are stunning, and C's talent overwhelming. Congratulations on the creation of genius. Brava!! Bravi!!! Ciao

Ugich Konitari said...

Sujatha,

I just had a wonderful time hearing Bach's Prelude, and then the Mazurka and the Entertainer that shows up in the Related posts below.

Your little fellow is a genius.

Deserves a music blog of his own, like the "N & C Music Company" or something, where you post all his performances. Do please do something like this so we can all come and listen whenever we want.

I guess your D is a bit young, but when i was hearing the Bach, I imagined a little girl in a tutu doing ballet steps .....

A great big pat on the back to C from me. And a another one for you.

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Absolutely beautiful! You have a prodigy on your hands! Love Bach as well...Thanks for stopping by, and for your lovely comments!!!! I am a fan of your blog!

Sujatha Bagal said...

@ Meredith, Kavi, Ra, Lola thank you so much!

@ T, thank you! Believe it or not, the thing I'm worried about with recording via a mic on the computer is tinny sound. Honestly! But the way this turned out, I might be better off doing that! Thanks for thinking about it. :)

@ Ugich, thank you so much! C read your comment and he agreed with you - he deserves a blog of his own! :) And you imagined it exactly right - that's what D does. The minute C starts his practice, she wants a frock that has lots of frills and she twirls around to the music, finishing with a flourish when the music ends. She knows these songs and their cadences. :) Yes, I'm trying to find a dance class for her. :)

@ Janine, thank you for reading (and listening :)) and for your kind words.

gawker said...

Nothing awesomer than a house perpetually filled with music. I had forgotten how beautiful a piano sounds in the right hands. Nice job, C. Onward and upward.